Author: Pat Fenner
Many families who started homeschooling when their kids were young weren’t necessarily thinking this far down the road. As a matter of fact, many parents I know started homeschooling with the intent of sending their children back to “the system” when high school arrived, intending, of course, for them to get a “real ” education.
Well, I think I can also say that by the time these years roll around, these same parents realize that the “real” education is not to be had “out there.” But it still begs the question “How do I handle high school?“
Let me present a different approach to that subject.
While your teenager may very well be college-bound and thus be required to cover certain subjects, there are far more important skills that should be presented to help your teen be prepared for life on their own. These TED talks cover foundational principles to help your teen enter the larger world around them with confidence. So here they are:
- How to Speak So That People Will Listen
- How Frustration can Make Us More Creative
- How Great Leaders Inspire Action
- The Surprising Science of Happiness
- How to Spot a Liar
- The Happy Secret to Better Work
- Looks Arent’ Everything – Believe Me: I’m a Model
- What Makes a Good Life? Lessons From the Longest Study on Happiness
- Why The Best Hire Might Not Have the Best Resume
- How to Stay Calm When You’re Stressed
Watch them here: 10 TED Talks